Isle of Man News last updated 22 October 2014 10:19:18

Work to repair dangerous Promenade steps

POSTED 17 minutes ago by MT

Work is under way to make safe a set of dangerous steps leading from Douglas Promenade onto the beach. Progressive storm damage had broken away parts...


Tynwald approves spending at Clagh Vane estate

POSTED today at 8:16 am

The latest stage of redevelopment on the Clagh Vane estate in Ballasalla has received unanimous support. Tynwald last night (Tuesday) agreed to spend £1.171 million on the scheme. In proposing the move, Social Care Minister Howard Quayle admitted he was encouraged that professional fees only accounted for 2.7 per cent of the overall cost, while Onchan member Peter Karran said it was a realistic figure for what public sector housing should cost. MHK for the area, Graham Cregeen, welcomed the move and explained how the dynamic on the housing estate had changed. He said some young families had been forced to move out of Ballasalla as a number of properties were unfit and unused.

MER scheme at Ballure gets the go-ahead

POSTED today at 8:11 am

The Laxey to Ramsey Manx Electric Railway service will operate as normal next year, after Tynwald approved spending nearly £1.3 million on repairs. Work at Ballure Bridge will begin once the MER season ends on November the second. It will include replacing corroded metal sections, ineffective rivets and timber-supporting steel beams. Ramsey MHK Leonard Singer says to lose the service would have been a big blow to retailers in the town and insists the work is long overdue. Clip 1

In Other Isle of Man News

Bringing You Isle of Man News and Sports Items


Send your press releases to: webmaster@manx.net
Got a news story: Contact Joanne Clague on 340000 or email newsdesk@manx.net
For MTTV news: contact Paul Moulton on 310000 or email news@manx.net