The IOM Astronomical Society is delighted to announce that they will be holding the Islands first Astronomy camping Weekend at Ballamoar Camp site Ballaugh next weekend from 4.00pm, Friday 15 September 2017 until 2.00pm, Sunday 17 September 2017
This is a FREE public outreach event and is open to anyone to come along and meet the members of the IOM Astronomical Society and find out just what astronomy is all about. There will be a host of astronomical based activity going on throughout the event including talks, demonstrations, displays, lectures, and of course, weather permitting stargazing
The full list of proposed activates will be decided on the day but will include
• Solar Viewing during the day!
• Guided tours of the Manx autumn night sky
• Viewing the planets Jupiter & Saturn in the evening sky
• Possible Aurora viewing
• Early morning viewing of the planets Venus & Mercury
• Telescope, Binocular, Astrophotography equipment, meet and greet the owners of all sorts of astronomical equipment
• Talks regarding what can be seen in the Manx night sky in an on site all weather marquee
• Lectures on various subjects, possibly on demand!
• Astrophotography demonstrations
• Demonstration on using. Stellarium and other PC/Mac based astronomical software on your computer/device.
• Comet and Messier searching and recording.
Obviously the weather will have a part to play in our activities, but we on the site there is a clubroom and a large marquee in which we there will be displays, equipment and room to have talks, discussions and lectures.
The event has been organised by IOMAS Committee members Mark Henthorne and Hadyn Glaister and other the members of the Society and Mark said:
“It has been something that we in the IOM Astronomical Society have been wanting to do for some time, with so much interest on the Island in the subject, we wanted to give the residents and visitors of the Island the chance to meet up with locally based astronomers and see just what it is we do, and just what we can see in our dark IOM skies”
The event is “free” to all visitors, but if you wish to camp overnight campers must book and pay here for campsite pitches, if you wish to camp Ballamoar Campsite, Glen Road, Ballaugh, Isle of Man IM7 5JG | +44 (0)7624 499394 or +44 (0)1624 898323
For further information regarding the event please contact
For information in general about the IOMAS please contact
Press and publicity officer
IOM Astronomical Society