Isle of Man Commonwealth Games Association is excited to announce Team Isle of Man for the 2018 Commonwealth Games, which is being held in Gold Coast, Australia.
The team of 32 comprises:
• Joe Harris – Athletics - Javelin
• Erika Kelly – Athletics – 20km Walk
• Kim Clague - Badminton - singles and womens doubles
• Ben Li – Badminton – singles and mixed doubles
• Jessica Li – Badminton – singles and mixed doubles
• Cristen Marritt – Badminton – singles and womens doubles
• Matthew Bostock – Cycling - Track
• Sam Brand – Cycling - Road
• Mark Cavendish – Cycling - Road
• Anna Christian – Cycling - Road
• Nick Corlett – Cycling – Mountain Bike
• Matthew Draper – Cycling - Track
• Nathan Draper – Cycling – Road
• Lizzie Holden – Cycling - Road
• Jake Kelly – Cycling – Road - Road
• Leon Mazzone – Cycling – Road
• Tom Mazzone – Cycling - Road
• Nicole Burns – Gymnastics - Artistic
• Clive McGreal - Lawn Bowls – Singles and pairs
• Mark McGreal - Lawn Bowls - Pairs
• Rachel Glover – Shooting – Small bore rifle
• Jake Keeling – Shooting – Double Trap
• Gemma Kermode – Shooting – Small bore rifle
• Tim Kneale – Shooting – Double Trap
• Neil Parsons – Shooting – Olympic Trap
• David Walton – Shooting – Olympic Trap
• Charlotte Atkinson – Swimming – specialises in butterfly
• Stephanie Brew – Swimming – specialises in breaststroke
• Guy Davies - Swimming – specialises in breaststroke
• Laura Kinley – Swimming – specialises in breaststroke
• Niamh Robinson – Swimming – specialises in breaststroke
• Jenny Newbery - Triathlon
The athletes will be joined by a support team led by Chef de Mission Leonie Cooil.
The team flies to Australia from 19th March where they will have a week of acclimatisation in the Sunshine Coast before moving to the athletes’ village in Gold Coast.
The team was announced at the official team launch at the Claremont Hotel in Douglas on 2nd January, when the team kit was also unveiled.
Isle of Man Commonwealth Games President, Basil Bielich, said: ‘The selection for the team has highlighted the high level of sporting talent in the Island, with 43 athletes meeting the qualifying criteria, of which only 32 could be selected for the team.
‘It’s an exciting opportunity for these athletes to represent the Island and I’m sure everyone at home will be rooting for them.’
Leonie Cooil added: ‘I am delighted with the team that we have selected. It is a mixture of experienced athletes and those making their Games debut. Every athlete on the team has the opportunity to show the rest of the world what a force the Isle of Man is on the global sporting stage.’
The athletes will be joined by a support team including General Team Manager Trevor Taubman, Team Doctor Frank Vaughn, Physiotherapists Ruth Cooil and Wendy Shallcross, and IOM Commonwealth Games Intern Kirree Quayle. Support teams for each sport will also accompany the athletes (Steve Partington – Athletics Team Manager, Alex Marritt – Badminton Team Manager, Graeme Hatcher – Cycling Team Manager, Andrew Roche – Cycling Coach, Alex Jaffrey – Cycling Mechanic, Gennady Tsyganovg - Gymnastics Team Manager, Bernice McGreal - Lawn Bowls
Team Manager, Harry Creevy – Shooting Team Manager, Ed Barker – Shooting Coach, Rosemary Kinley – Swimming Team Manager, Lee Holland - Swimming Coach, and Juan Kinley - Triathlon Team Manager).
Team Champions, Auxesia, Escape the Rock, Manx Telecom, Paysafe, Skanco and SMP Partners, have supported the Isle of Man Commonwealth Games association with the costs involved in getting the team to the Games.