Ennemona is a small woodland of 16 hectares close to Douglas/Onchan. It was acquired from the Isle of Man Water Authority and had been planted in 1993 with approximately 1 hectare of Sitka Spruce on the western edge, leaving 1 hectare of mature broadleaves.
Between 1994 and 1995 the remainder of the site was clearfelled and replanted with mixed broadleaves to create an amenity woodland. The name Ennemona translates from the Manx as "Turfy Marsh'.
This plantation is on the site of what was once Ennemona farm, which was purchased by Douglas Corporation in 1921 from J N Oates.
[Source: Manx Glens - A stroll through history]
[Acknowledgement: Suzanne Cubbon]