Gob-y-Volley opposite the Wildlife Park was purchased from private landowners, securing the long term future of the crops. It consists of 31 hectares with fertile lower slopes and a productive north facing woodland.
It was first planted in 1907 and then again in 1949. In 1991 approximately 9.3 hectares were clearfelled and restocked with Sitka Spruce, Hybrid Larch, Corsican Pine and Douglas Fir together with Oak, and Beech on the lowest slopes.
The name Gob-y-Volley comes from the Gaelic for "point/bluff of the pass" very appropriate as it forms the western entrance to Sulby Glen.
[Source: Manx Glens - A stroll through history]
[Acknowledgement: Suzanne Cubbon]