The name Greeba is derived from the Scandinavian word "Gnipa"
This 56 hectare plantation lies on the south east slopes of Greeba Mountain.
The greater part was planted in 1890 and the remainder the following year. Work was carried out by local labour employed by the Crown. Most of the plants had been raised in Barrule Nursery.
During the Second World War most of this plantation was clearfelled and then replanted in 1940 and 1951.
The main species now grown here are Sitka Spruce, Japanese Larch, Scots Pine and European Larch. Approximately 7 hectares were transferred to grazing in 1980 in conjunction with the afforestation at Glion Gill.
Greeba Castle (under private owenership)
At the foot of Greeba plantation, on the TT course, is Greeba Towers and Greeba Castle. This was once the home of Sir Hall Caine, the famous Victorian novelist.
The Castle and Towers were built at the beginning of the 19th century by William Norwell on the site of a property which had been known as Booilrenny.
After selling the Castle in 1854 for £825, Norwell moved into the Towers. The Castle was used as both a hotel and a boarding school for boys. It was bought by Hall Caine in 1898.
[Source: Manx Glens - A stroll through history]
[Acknowledgement: Suzanne Cubbon]