Bradda Glen in Port Erin is in the hands of Department of Environment, Food and Agriculture who look after its day to day running. It can be reached by car or bus and is situated at the far end of Port Erin on Bradda headland. It has a large car park, public toilets and a cafe/restaurant.
The archway above the entrance to the glen is made of local Manx
The paths in this glen lead up to Bradda Head and Milner's Tower, from where the views are truly magnificent. It is quite a steep climb up to the tower but well worth it, with views of Port Erin, Port St Mary, Langness, the Calf of Man and the Sound.
In the mid nineteenth century the owner of the Bellevue Zoo in Manchester built a holiday home near the entrance to the glen and this later became known as "The Hut Cafe". This was then converted, with the addition of more huts from Knockaloe, into a holiday camp.
This tower was erected in 1871, out of public subscription, as a monument to a Liverpool safe maker called William Milner.
Milner was born in 1804 and was a partner in his fathers company manufacturing fire resistant safes. He spent many holidays in the Isle of Man and when his health started to deteriorate he decided to retire to the Island. He made many donations to the poor of Port Erin, helping to clothe children and assisting local fishermen by being the prime instigator of the breakwater across the bay. Milner lived to see the monument to him erected. He died three years later and is buried in the Churchyard at Rushen. The tower itself rises in two stages with a turret at one angle, and it is said to represent the shape of the key to Milner's very first safe.
Bradda Head Mines
These mines are probably amongst the oldest on the Island. The South Bradda lead mine dates back to at least 1710 and the North Bradda mine to 1860.