Copyright © 2023 www.isleofman.com
All Right Reserved
Glen Falcon was donated to Douglas by the widow of William Okell of the Falcon Brewery
Glen Falcon is found on Broadway in Douglas, just up from the Villa Marina. Access is by foot, car or bus. Parking is on the road. It is a quiet retreat to spend time sitting in, on one of the many benches provided.
This glen was created out of the walled garden of Glen Falcon House. This small estate which also had a stable block, was built by William Okell who operated the Falcon Brewery at Falcon Cliff.
When Mr Okell transferred the brewery to a site opposite his new house, he utilised the water from the stream within his garden for the brewing of Okell's Ale.
After William's death, his widow donated the garden to the town of Douglas and lived out her days in peace within the house.
The house and outbuildings were then purchased by Douglas Corporation from the Okell's Trustees in 1948 and the house was demolished to make way for road-widening improvements on Broadway and Derby Road.
The garden became a landscaped glen to be used as Mrs Okell had wished as a public amenity, and it was dedicated to our Manx National Poet T E Brown. A plaque was erected inscribed with one of Brown's best known quotations; "A garden is a lovesome thing".
[Source: Manx Glens - A stroll through history]
[Acknowledgement: Suzanne Cubbon]