Douglas Head Lighthouse

Points of Interest
View More
Douglas, Isle of Man, IM1 4LA | Directions

Built in the 1850s - at the time it was the only sea light between the Calf of Man and Point of Ayre.


Light Established
1857 (Isle of Man Harbour Board from 1832)


David & Thomas Stevenson


Latitude 54° 08.6'N
Longitude 04° 27.9'W


Flashing White every 10 Secs


32 metres


Nominal Range
24 miles


White tower, 20 metres in height. There are 71 steps to the top of the tower.




In 1855, the Lord Commissioners of the Admiralty requested the observations of the Commissioners on the establishment of a light - other than a Harbour Light - at Douglas Harbour, in the Isle of Man. A request also came from a Mr Cabbin (presumably of the local Harbour Authority) to have a light established at Douglas Harbour. From information gleaned from a Parliamentary Report, it appeared that a light did exist at Douglas, but that it had, for some unknown reason, not been exhibited since 1850. There were originally two lights: one on the pier, which had to remain a harbour light and the second light on Douglas Head, this light being the only sea light between the Calf of Man and Point of Ayre, distance of 40 miles.


Prior to 1857, the light at Douglas Head was under the jurisdiction of the Commissioners of Douglas Harbour from which date the Commissioners of Northern Lighthouse took over Douglas Head Lighthouse.


The name Douglas Head means Blackstream, (Dubh - black and Glais - stream). Some manx men maintain it was derived from two rivers, the Dubh and Glas, the black and the green of Greu Rivers.


The lighthouse was automated in 1986.


Acknowledgement:  Northern Lighthouse Board


Architecture Information
OS Grid Ref:  SC390748