Copyright © 2023 www.isleofman.com
All Right Reserved
Ballure in Ramsey is a sheltered plantation of 30 hectares
Ballure in Ramsey is a sheltered plantation of 30 hectares. This plantation surrounds a reservoir. It was first planted in 1965 and 1967. Then in 1995 and 1996 it was restocked with broadleaves above the western side of the reservoir. Ballure means "place of the yew".
The reservoir was constructed by the Ramsey Water Works Company Limited between the years 1881 and 1884. This was to replace two smaller, concrete walled reservoirs that were no longer sufficient to cope with the influx of tourists during the summer season.
One of these original reservoirs can still be seen alongside the access road, just downstream from the water treatment works.
This new reservoir was first filled with water in January 1885 and holds approximately 18 million gallons of water.
[Source: Manx Glens - A stroll through history]
[Acknowledgement: Suzanne Cubbon]